133 Yokai Statues on Mizuki Shigeru Road
(This article was originally posted in Japanese at 17:15 Dec. 30, 2008)
There are 133 bronze statues of GeGeGe no Kitaro and other yokai (Japanese folklore creatures, both evil and friendly) on Mizuki Shigeru Road, Skaiminato, Tottori. We found them all!
Pics after the cut!
"Mizuki Shigeru Road Yokai Guidebook", sold at souvenir shops and tourist information center at 100 yen. Also works as rally sheet for a stamp rally.
The guidebook shows location of the statues with discription of each yokai.
Find these rubber stamps.
So these are the 133 statues. Sorted by number according to the guide book. Link on the statue's name jumps to pics on Sakaiminato Guide for Sight Seeing. Parenthesized links are English descriptions on each yokai.
"Shigeru Mizuki at work"
3. Nezumi Otoko (Rat Man)
4. Medama Oyaji (Old man Eyeball)
8・9. Kitaro Post
10. Shinigami (Death)
26. Kaji-Babaa (lit. Smith hag; a wolf possessed by the ghost of blacksmith's wife)
30. Neko Musume (Cat Girl, girlfriend of Kitaro)
35・36. Kitaro and Medama Oyaji
49. Medama Oyaji
56. Nezumi Otoko
59. Kashabo (A prankster yokai clad in blue with onion-shaped head, about the height of a 6-year-old. Dogs can see him but human can't)
63・64. "Akuma-kun and Mephisto on a Magic Circle"
68. Maruge (lit. Round Fur; Furrly little yokai in the guise of piggy bank who disappears once the bank is full)
71. Oomotogami (Guardian god of the village)
72・73. "NonNonBa and Me"
74・75. "Master Mizuki in top hat"
76・77. "Baby Kitaro and his Father"
81. Kani Bozu (Monster Crab)
82. Majo no Hanako (Hanako the Witch)
Donated by popular manzai comedian Daisuke Miyagawa.
85. Iwana bozu (Monster Trout)
86. Soroban Kozou (lit. Abacus Boy)
88. Ryu (Dragon)
89. Betobeto san (Sticky Steps; footsteps that follow you in the dark)
95. Konaki Jijii (Old Crybaby; Bawls like a baby in dark streets. Becomes heavier and heavier when concerned passersby pick him up in their arms.)
Donated by novelist Hajime Kanzaka of Slayers.
"Yokai Hiroba (Yokai Plaza)"
Watch Kitaro peeing in this video of Yokai Hiroba. The steam rise periodically.
107. Kitaro. He's dressed like this since we visited around Christmas.
108・109. Kappa and Tanuki
110. Kappa no Sanpei (Sanpei the Kappa)
114. Gangi Kozo
115. Nezumi Otoko (Rat Man)
116. Miage Nyudo
117. Chochin Kozo (Lantern Boy)
120・121. "Tower of GeGeGe no Kitaro"
123. Yama Waro (Mountain Bandit)
133. Kokekakiikii (A deity invented by Shigeru Mizuki who cries "Kokekakiikii")
Collect 20 or more stamps in the stamp rally to get this original sticker.
Collect all stamps for the finisher's certificate.
Ukiyo-e of Kitaro and Yokais haunting the 53 Stations of the Tokaido at Mizuki Shigeru Museum - GIGAZINE
Exploring Sakaiminato City, the promised land for Kitaro fans and all things supernatural - GIGAZINE
Papercraft Kitaro planes distributed by Japan Air Self-Defence Force - GIGAZINE
Picnic with spooks at Kitaro-Chaya - GIGAZINE